[Scribus] Q: Adding image with transparency

william f. maddock billsey
Tue Mar 6 12:48:04 CET 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 6:31 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:

> I am slowly (very slowly :-) ) making some progress at understanding
> Scribus.
>
> Here is the issue that currently has me stumped.
>
> 1. My lowest layer is coloured a uniform grey colour.
> 2. In GIMP, I have created an image with opacity 15%, and exported it
> to PNG.
> 3. Back in Scribus, I created a new layer (call it gimpimage)
> 4. On the gimpimage layer, I created an image frame of the right size,
> and imported the image.
>
> But the result doesn't seem to show any of the background layer
> through the gimpimage layer (the background seems to be white rather
> than the grey colour of the lowest layer).

If I understand what you are attempting, your problem is a
misunderstanding of the functionality of opacity. The opacity attribute
only applies WITHIN THE IMAGE in GIMP, being used to set the blending
characteristics of the layer having the semi-transparent opacity
setting with the layers that are beneath it within the GIMP image. Once
the image is saved to be used in another application, the opacity
attribute is no longer there. When the image was flattened, the layers
blended, upon saving to the PNG format, the opacity did its job at that
point in order to accomplish the proper blending of the layers to
achieve the final image that gets saved out of GIMP.

If you must blend the intended background with the image that you wish
to be 15% opaque, you will have to do so in GIMP, then import the
result of that into scribus.

> I've looked to see if I can find a setting to tell an entire layer not
> to be completely opaque, but there doesn't seem to be any such
> setting.

As I recall, scribus has no opacity function. Personally, I don't think
it should have one. That should be accomplished in an image processor
or a drawing program, not in a page layout program, such as scribus.
Page layout is for laying out the elements of the page. Other than
typing, those elements should have already been created in another
application. Depending on the background you intend to use, one thing
you can do is to take the appropriate portion of the background into
GIMP for combining with the foreground image, then place the result in
scribus on top of the background at the appropriate place on the page.