[Scribus] Please add Lao team

Anousak Souphavanh anousak
Fri Jun 29 03:57:36 CEST 2007

Andreas,

Many thanks for your kind reply and shed some light on this. I have
downloaded Scribus and test to see if it works for Lao and thruthly it
doesn't support OpenType Lao font.

Looking this thread http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=5937 , seeing
that Bountonw has ut some issue out already. Boutonw and I agreed to
work on linebreaking and spellcheck for Lao. A friend worked with
LibThai and he has modified certain attributes to allow Lao support.

Since I already worked on many issues relating to Lao support with
other FOSS, I like to work with core developers for Lao linebreaking,
but also spacing, use of hyphenation characters vs. zerowidth spaces,
other special typographic conventions). I strongly believe the outcome
from this project can be aplied to other projects as well, ie. Opffice
being worked, GNOME, and Mozilla.

Many thanks for your kind help and look forward to working with you.

Cheers,
Anousak

On 6/28/07, avox <avox at arcor.de> wrote:

> Anousak Souphavanh-2 wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am Anousak Souphavanh, a Lao OPen Source software developer and
> > would to work on Scribus for Lao language. Please accept my sincerity
> > to join the team as I alrerad a lead for other OpenSource projects,
> > ie. Gnome, Debian, Ubuntu, OpenOffice, and others.
> >

> Thanks for your kind offer!
>
> As I see it there are two distinct functionalities which are needed for Lao
> (and
> Thai and Khmer):
>
> * Hyphenation
> * OpenType font support
>
> For the first I'd like to integrate libthai in Scribus 1.3.6. Are there any
> plans
> to extend that library to Lao and Khmer?
> I also had a look at the sourcecode and it seem as if libthai recodes all
> text
> to tis-620-0 internally. It would be nicer if it worked on unicode directly
> (UTF-16 or UTF-8).
>
> Opentype support is also planned for 1.3.6. We will probably re-use the Qt4
> shapers via the Harfbuzz library. Once we get the basic machinery working,
> we would need native language speakers to test and debug it.
>
> Since the core developers don't know any of those languages, we are also
> interested in exact specifications of what is expected from a page layout
> applicatipn in these languages (not only linebreaking, but also spacing, use
> of hyphenation characters vs. zerowidth spaces, other special typographic
> conventions).
>
> Please have a look at the discussions at
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=5937
> if you haven't done so already.
>
> Cheers
> /Andreas