[Scribus] Please add Lao team

avox avox
Thu Jun 28 12:37:17 CEST 2007

Anousak Souphavanh-2 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Anousak Souphavanh, a Lao OPen Source software developer and
> would to work on Scribus for Lao language. Please accept my sincerity
> to join the team as I alrerad a lead for other OpenSource projects,
> ie. Gnome, Debian, Ubuntu, OpenOffice, and others.

Thanks for your kind offer!

As I see it there are two distinct functionalities which are needed for Lao
(and
Thai and Khmer):

* Hyphenation
* OpenType font support

For the first I'd like to integrate libthai in Scribus 1.3.6. Are there any
plans
to extend that library to Lao and Khmer?
I also had a look at the sourcecode and it seem as if libthai recodes all
text
to tis-620-0 internally. It would be nicer if it worked on unicode directly
(UTF-16 or UTF-8).

Opentype support is also planned for 1.3.6. We will probably re-use the Qt4
shapers via the Harfbuzz library. Once we get the basic machinery working,
we would need native language speakers to test and debug it.

Since the core developers don't know any of those languages, we are also
interested in exact specifications of what is expected from a page layout
applicatipn in these languages (not only linebreaking, but also spacing, use
of hyphenation characters vs. zerowidth spaces, other special typographic
conventions).

Please have a look at the discussions at
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=5937
if you haven't done so already.

Cheers
/Andreas