[Scribus] Please help with 'simple' scripting task - print the current document

John R. Culleton john
Fri Jun 22 22:07:05 CEST 2007

On Friday 22 June 2007 15:36, wayne wrote:
> On Thu June 21 2007, Bill Hudacek wrote:
> > Hi! I need help, and I'm at my wit's end.  I'm trying to use
> > scribus to print tickets.
> >
> > I have 4 tickets per page, with 8 named text boxes.  I want to
> > stuff a ticket number into the two boxes for a ticket (one on
> > ticket, one on 'stub'), then do the same for the remaining three
> > tickets.  I have this working.
> >
> > Rather than create hundreds of pages in a document, or hundreds
> > of documents, I thought I'd simply print the page, then increment
> > my counter by 4, repopulate the named text boxes, and print the
> > page again...but I cannot figure out how to get the document to
> > print!
> >
> > I found docs on the "Printer" object on the Scribus web site, but
> > there's no info on how you actually use it.  None of the examples
> > shows how it's used.  I even googled for 'allinurl: scribus .py'
> > and spent a bit of time reading arbitrary scripts :-)
> >
> > Does someone have a trivial example of how to print the current
> > document?
> >
> > I would be hugely grateful.  This is for the local Historical
> > Society, and I'm late in getting the tickets printed now :-/
>
> I couldn't figure out a way to print tickets from Scribus. I needed
> 1200 numbered tickets printed so I designed the ticket in Scribus,
> exported it as a png file, then imported it into glabels. I also
> created a number database and formatted it the way I wanted it to
> appear on the ticket (000100, etc.). I imported that into glabels
> also where I was able to print out 8 tickets per page. It worked
> out nicely.
>
> If someone has an easier way to do this all from Scribus, let me
> know.
>
> Wayne
> Scribus 1.3.3.9

The limiting phrase here is "from scribus." I built a file of numbers
and then used the LaTeX package "labels". The label file was simply
numbers, one to a line with a blank line in between.  I used a COBOL
progam to create it but almost any language would do---tcl, perl,
php, whatever.

The LaTeX code wasn't hard:
\documentclass[letterpaper]{article}
\usepackage{labels}
\font\rm cminch at 1.5in
\LabelCols=2%
\LabelRows=4%
\LeftBorder=.7in
\RightBorder=.5in
\TopBorder=.5in
\BottomBorder=.03in

\begin{document}
\rm
\promptlabels
\end {document}

When I ran this through LaTeX it prompted me for the name of the label
file. It ran in a few seconds, after which I ran dvips matchlab.dvi
to create the Postscript file.

It is not always necessary to reinvent the wheel :<)

--
John Culleton
ATTN Publishers/authors: