[Scribus] Creating a newspaper from scrips

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Jun 18 18:26:13 CEST 2007

Alessandro Ronchi wrote:
> Hi to all.
> My need is to create a newspaper from a wordpress blog, getting the
> most important news and putting them in a single pdf file.
> I want  to span in two columns and have an header.
>
> My problem is I don't want to do it by hand every week, but I need a
> script that gets the data (i already have it) and puts it in a
> formatted way to pdf.
>
> I didn't found anything that fits this need: latex doesn't support
> multiple columns span (it's written on latex documentation) and
> reportlab is too complicated and it lacks examples to write a text
> spanned into two columns.
>
> So I thought the best solution would be scribus, if it's possible to
> use its documents from scripts and put the data into placeholder in
> templates. I would write a scribus document and put the data into it
> by scripts.
>
> Is it possible?
> Is there any example of such a thing?

Here is something that Scribus can do which may be of help - automatic
text frames:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Working_with_text_frames#Automatic_Text_Frame_Creation

Beyond that, creating styles that you save and reuse will markedly
reduce the effort for a repetitive work like you're describing.

Greg