[Scribus] PDF questions: digitally sign + embed vs. outline

avox avox
Mon Jul 16 13:58:33 CEST 2007

Femke Snelting wrote:

> 2. I am aware that there are many good reasons for forcing fonts to
> outline in pdf export, but is there any way to switch this off
> temporarily or on a case-by-case basis? Using the python scripter for
> example? I've read the discussions on the list here, and tested the
> pdftops solution described here:
> http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2007-May/024023.html so it
> is not difficult to create machine readable pdf's from Scribus. But as
> we are having to use .ttf fonts (we might change this for the next
> issue, but that is not possible for the upcoming edition), I am stuck
> with only outlines...

Scribus only insists on outlining OTF fonts but can embed TTF fonts in PDF.
Check settings in Preferences->Fonts, column "subset" or "outline".

Apparently Scribus also outlines TTF fonts if they have more than a certain
(large) number of glyphs.

I'm not sure if the following change made it into 1.3.3.9, but recent
versions
of Scribus produce searchable/selectabale text when producing PDF (there may
be still be problems with spaces at the wrong positions)

/Andreas