[Scribus] PDF questions: digitally sign + embed vs. outline

Femke Snelting snelting
Mon Jul 16 14:19:46 CEST 2007

avox wrote:

> Femke Snelting wrote:
>> 2. I am aware that there are many good reasons for forcing fonts to
>> outline in pdf export, but is there any way to switch this off
>> temporarily or on a case-by-case basis? Using the python scripter for
>> example? I've read the discussions on the list here, and tested the
>> pdftops solution described here:
>> http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2007-May/024023.html so it
>> is not difficult to create machine readable pdf's from Scribus. But as
>> we are having to use .ttf fonts (we might change this for the next
>> issue, but that is not possible for the upcoming edition), I am stuck
>> with only outlines...
>>

> Scribus only insists on outlining OTF fonts but can embed TTF fonts in PDF.
> Check settings in Preferences->Fonts, column "subset" or "outline".
>
> Apparently Scribus also outlines TTF fonts if they have more than a certain
> (large) number of glyphs.
>
> I'm not sure if the following change made it into 1.3.3.9, but recent
> versions
> of Scribus produce searchable/selectabale text when producing PDF (there may
> be still be problems with spaces at the wrong positions)

Thanks Andreas,

I'm quite alright with the spaces and their position, though looking
forward to Scribus automatically producing searchable PDF's of course :-)

In 1.3.3.9 the option to un-check 'subset' is not available yet; but it
is in 1.3.4. Unfortunately, all fonts we are using for the magazine, can
not be 'unchecked' (others can), i.e. are forced to subset. I guess
because Scribus has detected issues with these fonts?

I'll keep on looking!

best,

Femke