[Scribus] end-to-end publishing solution??

neil lewis neil
Tue Jan 30 13:40:44 CET 2007

Hello Matt,

That sounds like something that might interest me.

I'm a professional photographer of almost thirty years experience. I've
been using Linux since the late 1990's and Scribus since quite early on.
I also use GIMP and Inkscape extensively. Obviously, I have always been
quite heavily involved in product photography and in recent years I have
illustrated and laid out quite a few catalogues and other small
publications using Scribus. I've also been developing an increasing
number of   business web sites with PHP/MySQL/Apache, mainly using
Quanta+. This side of my business has been the one area that I've seen
as worth putting more time and effort into as many traditional areas
have gradually become unviable.

Your concept of an end-to-end worflow for catalogues and the web seems
like a pretty good fit with the direction I'm presently headed, so you
can certainly count on my interest and support in any way I can give.
I'm pretty famioliar with the use of Scribus and OOo, and could probably
help with developing CMS/Wiki type web apps. Given Scribus (and now
GIMP's) support of Python scripting, I guess it might be a good time to
take a walk down that road to see what might be done in the way of
auto-generating output with scripting.

Using "content" across widely differing media has always been
problematic. Of course it's always been possible, but the results are
never optimal in any medium but the initial one. It would be interesting
to look at trying to solve some of the problems of optimising output
originally intended for print when web publishing with minimal user
interaction.

Regards,

Neil Lewis, Gibsons Photography, London UK