[Scribus] end-to-end publishing solution??

Matt Donnelly donnellymp
Tue Jan 30 12:59:01 CET 2007

Hello,

I'm new to the list and new to Scribus. I work for a wholesale pet
supply company that publishes print catalogs in addition to several
websites. We have no workflow, no content management system, no wikis,
and the editors use Word while the designers use InDesign. We're a
growing company that struggles to communicate well with each other as
well as with our customers.

I'd think it would be terrific to find some way to glue together
Scribus, OpenOffice, Gimp, a CMS app, a wiki, etc. to create an
end-to-end publishing solution that takes companies through the entire
catalog creation lifecycle and gets new info on/from the websites fast.
Fold in Web 2.0, and it's a goal.

The closest we've come is the idea of using InCopy for editorial and
InDesign for layout. This would at least get editors and designers on
the same (virtual) page. But it doesn't solve the problem of effectively
sharing information, workflow, modular content that can be reused across
catalogs/websites, etc. Microsoft is trying to do some of this with
SharePoint/Office integration...

But has anyone used just open source software to accomplish athis
somewhat grander goal of getting all stakeholders in a website/catalog
launch working together more effectively? We need to work smarter, not
harder.

I'm thinking of a meta-project involving more than just the Scribus
community.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help,
Matt from Boston