[Scribus] end-to-end publishing solution??

Plinnell mrdocs
Tue Jan 30 17:46:04 CET 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007, Matt Donnelly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the list and new to Scribus. I work for a wholesale pet
> supply company that publishes print catalogs in addition to several
> websites. We have no workflow, no content management system, no
> wikis, and the editors use Word while the designers use InDesign.
> We're a growing company that struggles to communicate well with
> each other as well as with our customers.
>
> I'd think it would be terrific to find some way to glue together
> Scribus, OpenOffice, Gimp, a CMS app, a wiki, etc. to create an
> end-to-end publishing solution that takes companies through the
> entire catalog creation lifecycle and gets new info on/from the
> websites fast. Fold in Web 2.0, and it's a goal.
>
> The closest we've come is the idea of using InCopy for editorial
> and InDesign for layout. This would at least get editors and
> designers on the same (virtual) page. But it doesn't solve the
> problem of effectively sharing information, workflow, modular
> content that can be reused across catalogs/websites, etc. Microsoft
> is trying to do some of this with SharePoint/Office integration...
>
> But has anyone used just open source software to accomplish athis
> somewhat grander goal of getting all stakeholders in a
> website/catalog launch working together more effectively? We need
> to work smarter, not harder.
>
> I'm thinking of a meta-project involving more than just the Scribus
> community.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Matt from Boston

Hi Matt,

I am one of the Scribus developers and I am heading to Cape Cod
Thursday from Paris. I grew up there and still have clients there,
but live in France.

I already have a pretty full schedule there, but perhaps we could at
least talk by phone or perhaps on my departure day meet up.

We have had off list some interesting discussions with companies
trying to implement very similar things,

First, you should know I and other members of the team can provide
commercial support and in some cases, custom coding depending on
difficulty and requirements.

We've already seen this benefit Scribus when commercial companies
underwrite feature requests or needed bug fixes.

Your concept is a valid one and the developers do have plans to help
extend publishing workflows in the future.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Cordially,

Peter Linnell
Scribus Team