[Scribus] Scribus for Mac OS X

Michael Crisci macrisci
Sun Jan 28 02:13:21 CET 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 6:40 PM, jon wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> I think it could help us and you a lot to figure out what the problem
> is if you stay with one procedure after another.
> Installing Fink and scribus with Fink is only one way (btw the sw
> folder must exactly stay where put).
> If you want to install additional software with Fink you might need
> Fink Commander (the GUI for Fink), too.
>
> If it seems that there is a font related problem, this should be
> cleared out first, before you try different approaches.
>
> I really recommend to disable all privately installed fonts by
> temporarely removing them from the previously mentioned directories.
> After that: startup X11(or a prog that makes use of it) to let it
> rewrite its font cache.
> For this time you might leave fonts installed in the X11 directory
> untouched.

    Jon, what is considered the fonts I need to leave? Is there a
list I should refer to?
      Again, can you indicate for me where I need to look to move
these fonts?
      Seems to me, there are 3 spots?

> Please use only scribus 1.3.3.7 and please remove the scribus
> frameworks from their locations (just to make sure there is no
> "forgotten" link in this
> scribus version - you should leave your ghostscript framework
> untouched)

    Okay, indicate to me where I need to download scribus 1.3.3.7
from. I might as well start all
      over again, deleting everything Scribus to get a clean start, no?

> This as a first try ... this way.
>
> Scribus shouldn't need more than a few seconds to scan folders with no
> more than about 100 fonts.
> Be carfeful not to clean out fonts wich are used by the system, again.
>
> Ah, yes you are right. If you encounter any continous problems with
> any
> app a proper procedure is always to disable haxies or extensions or
> startup items and see if the problem still exists.
>
> And please try to delete the folder .scribus first (I encounter hangs
> wich are gone after I let scribus regenerate it's prefs) this might be
> a false approach but it's worth a try (if the folder exists).
>
>> Open
> terminal
>> Show all items as list. type:
> ls -al
>> you get a list of your files in your User directory (see .scribus?)
>> if yes, rename invisble (dot)scribus to the visible scribus: type
> mv .scribus scribus
>> open your User dir in the finder
>> see the folder scribus?
>> delete it

       Okay. It is deleted. I can't believe I remember how to do
Terminal. Back in the "Stone Age" I owned a Commodore Amiga 2000,
      And I used to enjoy using the CLI. I had a friend teach me Unix
commands and it's been so long, and I'm old. I'm starting to remember
more Unix
      now as I'm doing this.  It's going to be a long night, and I'm
determined to get this program running tonight!

Michael