[Scribus] Scribus for Mac OS X

jon info
Sun Jan 28 15:02:28 CET 2007

>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> I think it could help us and you a lot to figure out what the problem
>> is if you stay with one procedure after another.
>> Installing Fink and scribus with Fink is only one way (btw the sw
>> folder must exactly stay where put).
>> If you want to install additional software with Fink you might need
>> Fink Commander (the GUI for Fink), too.
>>
>> If it seems that there is a font related problem, this should be
>> cleared out first, before you try different approaches.
>>
>> I really recommend to disable all privately installed fonts by
>> temporarely removing them from the previously mentioned directories.
>> After that: startup X11(or a prog that makes use of it) to let it
>> rewrite its font cache.
>> For this time you might leave fonts installed in the X11 directory
>> untouched.
> ? ?Jon, what is considered the fonts I need to leave? Is there a list
> I should refer to?
> ? ? ?Again, can you indicate for me where I need to look to move these
> fonts?
> ? ? ?Seems to me, there are 3 spots?

One important note - I copied the names of my system fonts with a
standard installation (10.4.8) - there
might be minor differencies in yours. Have a look a the modification
date and you can easily find out if there are others,
but these do have to stay at least:

system/library/fonts/
????.ttf
????.ttf
?? Pro.ttf
???????? Std W8.otf
???????? Pro W6.otf
???????? Pro W3.otf
??????? Pro W6.otf
??????? Pro W3.otf
???????? Pro W4.otf
ZapfDingbats.dfont
TimesLTMM
Times.dfont
Times LT MM
Symbol.dfont
OsakaMono.dfont
Osaka.dfont
Monaco.dfont
LucidaGrande.dfont
LastResort.dfont
Keyboard.dfont
Helvetica.dfont
Helvetica LT MM
HelveLTMM
Hei.dfont
Geneva.dfont
Geeza Pro.ttf
Geeza Pro Bold.ttf
Courier.dfont
AquaKanaRegular.otf
AquaKanaBold.otf
AppleGothic.dfont
Apple LiGothic Medium.dfont

/library/fonts/
Andale Mono
Ayuthaya.ttf
ArialHBBold.ttf
ArialHB.ttf
Arial Rounded Bold
Arial Narrow
Arial Black
Arial
NewPeninimMTBoldInclined.ttf
Courier New
CorsivaBold.ttf
Corsiva.ttf
Copperplate.dfont
Comic Sans MS
????.ttf
????.ttf
????.ttf
?? Pro.ttf
Zapfino.dfont
Webdings
Verdana
Trebuchet MS
Times New Roman
Thonburi.ttf
Skia.dfont
Silom.ttf
Sathu.ttf
RaananaBold.ttf
Raanana.ttf
AmericanTypewriter.dfont
NewPeninimMTBold.ttf
NewPeninimMT.ttf
Nadeem.ttf
MshtakanRegular.ttf
MshtakanOblique.ttf
MshtakanBoldOblique.ttf
MshtakanBold.ttf
MarkerFelt.dfont
KufiStandarGK.ttf
Krungthep.ttf
Kai.dfont
InaiMathi.ttf
Impact
Hoefler Text.dfont
Herculanum.dfont
HelveticaNeue.dfont
HelveticaCY.dfont
Gurmukhi.ttf
GujaratiMTBold.ttf
GujaratiMT.ttf
GillSans.dfont
Georgia
GenevaCY.dfont
Futura.dfont
EuphemiaCASRegular.ttf
EuphemiaCASItalic.ttf
EuphemiaCASBold.ttf
Didot.dfont
DevanagariMTBold.ttf
DevanagariMT.ttf
DecoTypeNaskh.ttf
PlantagenetCherokee.ttf
Papyrus.dfont
Optima.dfont
NISC18030.ttf
NewPeninimMTInclined.ttf
AlBayan.ttf
#Gungseouche.dfont
BigCaslon.dfont
BiauKai.dfont
Baskerville.dfont
Baghdad.ttf
#Pilgiche.dfont
#HeadlineA.dfont
AppleMyungjo.dfont
Apple Symbols.ttf
Apple LiSung Light.dfont
Apple Chancery.dfont
Cochin.dfont
CharcoalCY.dfont
ChalkboardBold.ttf
Chalkboard.ttf
Brush Script
#PCmyoungjo.dfont
AlBayanBold.ttf

/Users/xxxx/Library/Fonts/
none

Sure - not all of these fonts are "really needed" by the system.

>> Please use only scribus 1.3.3.7 and please remove the scribus
>> frameworks from their locations (just to make sure there is no
>> "forgotten" link in this
>> scribus version - you should leave your ghostscript framework
>> untouched)
> ? ?Okay, indicate to me where I need to download scribus 1.3.3.7 from.
> I might as well start all
> ? ? ?over again, deleting everything Scribus to get a clean start, no?

Why not - start over -may be we have a little more luck then, or at
least can narrow this down.

The ghostscript ( the uncompressed goes to Library/frameworks/ - as
usual):
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/scribus/Ghostscript-8.50-
macosx.tar.bz2?modtime=1148916383&big_mirror=0

The scribus
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/scribus/Scribus.Aqua
-1.3.3.7.rc1.tar.bz2?modtime=1168615615&big_mirror=0

The link to the sourceforge repository (all files):
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
group_id=125235&package_id=136924