[Scribus] Scribus for Mac OS X

jon info
Sun Jan 28 01:40:31 CET 2007

Hi Michael,

I think it could help us and you a lot to figure out what the problem
is if you stay with one procedure after another.
Installing Fink and scribus with Fink is only one way (btw the sw
folder must exactly stay where put).
If you want to install additional software with Fink you might need
Fink Commander (the GUI for Fink), too.

If it seems that there is a font related problem, this should be
cleared out first, before you try different approaches.

I really recommend to disable all privately installed fonts by
temporarely removing them from the previously mentioned directories.
After that: startup X11(or a prog that makes use of it) to let it
rewrite its font cache.
For this time you might leave fonts installed in the X11 directory
untouched.

Please use only scribus 1.3.3.7 and please remove the scribus
frameworks from their locations (just to make sure there is no
"forgotten" link in this
scribus version - you should leave your ghostscript framework untouched)

This as a first try ... this way.

Scribus shouldn't need more than a few seconds to scan folders with no
more than about 100 fonts.
Be carfeful not to clean out fonts wich are used by the system, again.

Ah, yes you are right. If you encounter any continous problems with any
app a proper procedure is always to disable haxies or extensions or
startup items and see if the problem still exists.

And please try to delete the folder .scribus first (I encounter hangs
wich are gone after I let scribus regenerate it's prefs) this might be
a false approach but it's worth a try (if the folder exists).

 >Open
terminal
 >Show all items as list. type:
ls -al
 >you get a list of your files in your User directory (see .scribus?)
 >if yes, rename invisble (dot)scribus to the visible scribus: type
mv .scribus scribus
 >open your User dir in the finder
 >see the folder scribus?
 >delete it

My compliments for you, working so hard to get scribus running.

Jon