[Scribus] Scribus for Mac OS X

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Sat Jan 27 21:31:47 CET 2007

2007/1/27, Michael Crisci <macrisci at gmail.com>:

> Alright Louis, let's give it another try. I will answer your questions in
> your order, and maybe I'll bandage my head for another proggie later!

:)

On Jan 27, 2007, at 11:51 AM, Louis Desjardins wrote:

> Before going off list, I suggest we review this a bit. I am saying this as
> a plain Mac user with no knowledge of the UNIX command line. But I did
> install Scribus on Macs before and although I had a few issues, it ended up
> smoothly with the kind help of Martin Costabel.
>
> 1. Can you describe the machine, including RAM and CPU
>

>           I have:
>   Name: Power Mac G4
>   Machine Model: PowerMac3,6
>   CPU Type: PowerPC G4  (3.2)
>   Number Of CPUs: 2
>   CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
>   L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
>   L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
>   Memory: 2 GB
>   Bus Speed: 167 MHz
>   Boot ROM Version: 4.4.8f2
>   Two internal Hard drives:   Boot hard drive: 115 GB,  HD2: 280 GB

OK. Huge machine at the time you bought this! Good enough to run Scribus
smoothly.

2. What version of OS X

>         10.4.8

All ok.

3. When you say you installed X11, did you use the original Developper Tools
> CDs that came with your machine
>

>        I installed the original from the Tiger disk, then I went on to the
> Apple website and upgraded it
>
> 4. Did you try installing Fink and have Fink install Scribus for you
>

>       No. What is Fink?

http://fink.sourceforge.net/index.php?phpLang=en

Plus, it might be useful for us to know whether you have an enormous
> collection of fonts on that machine since this seems to be an issue for
> Scribus while building the font cache.
>

>       Yes. I have a LOT fonts on the 1st and 2nd hard drive
>

> 5. You could try removing a fair amount of fonts (you'll put them back
> later)
>

>        Should I move them to my external Hard drive? What if I have other
> programs that depend on these fonts?

I think Jon's answer is fine. We are only making sure we can have Scribus
running. If there is a font struggle issue, it is something we'll narrow
down. Putting these fonts away for a short time shouldn't be an issue. But
the systems fonts have to remain in there place.

6. Did you try to install the Aqua version following all the instructions,
> including the place of the Lib files, etc.
>

>        Yes, I installed and tried both versions, (but not at the same
> time). Lib files are in Users/macrisci/Library/Frameworks/(then are in their
> respective
>      folders).

Can you make sure these are not actually in subfolder into the Framework
folder. I have a doubt here. The instructions say:

Please note that these framework bundles go *directly* into
*/Library/Frameworks
*; it does *not* work to put them into some subdirectory!

Source :
http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=3&page=1

If you let those Lib files into their Folder1 Folder2 packages, it won't
work.

I left the framework folders alone when running the Auqa version (I read
> somewhere that it was okay not to delete them).

Not sure to understand what you mean.

If you are using OpenOffice and not NeoOffice (which is the Aqua version of
> OO.o and runs Aqua natively) it means you are running OO.o under X11. Does
> that work?
>

>         I have both OpenOffice and NeoOffice installed. Yes, they both run
> fine. Both boot up perfectly, and Open office does start X11 (1.1.3,
> XFree86 4.40)

OK. This means X11 is running fine. This at least is cleared.

I am confident we can have your install properly running on a Mac, be it PPC
> or Intel. I will not be the right person to help you out with all the steps
> although I have done it myself. Martin is far more knowledgeable than I am
> and Andreas as well, as well as others on this list.
>

>         Louis, I am not a newbie by any means but I've never run into such
> a stubborn program before!

It must be something that went wrong during the install process or again
some issue related to fonts. We have to know if there is a bug. As Jon has
pointed it, it could also be a path issue related to some character present
in the chain.

        Do you have enough information now?

So far, so good. The hardest part is on your shoulder now. Installing again.

Fink is a nice thing to try. The instructions are pretty much
straightforward. Fink takes care of the Lib part and puts them at the right
place. The only thing it doesn't do (it can't do that, actually) is tell
Scribus where the Ghostscript is. For this, you need to be in Scribus
(providing it's running at last) and set the path in the Prefs menu. When we
are there, it's going to be good news anyways!

Courage!

Louis