[Scribus] Work stuck in Scribus...

Branko Vukelic bg.branko
Sat Jan 13 01:46:30 CET 2007

Hi,

I am trying to do my first commercial job using Scribus 1.3.3.7 and Inkscape
0.44.1 (on Linux). So far, I have created artwork using Inkscape managed to
separate it using both 4 and 2 plates (I needed both0 versions). The artwork
makes use of gradients, most of which have transparent nodes.

Now, when I import the artwork into Scribus, I can edit the imported colors
and convert them to CMYK. I can also export PDFs v1.4.

So, I have a few questions.

1. Is outputting PDF 1.4 safe? Or I should perhaps use 1.3 instead? The client
wants to be able to take the same file to different printers of his own
choosing, so I want to be sure it would print in most cases (if not all).

2. If I am to use PDF 1.3, how do I get rid of preflight error messages about
transparency?

3. My client asked me for an editable version of the artwork. So, how can I do
that using Scribus? Or is it perhaps better to just give him the original
SVG? He can't use Inkscape, and he asked if I could provide a CorelDRAW file,
which I naturally can't... :-(

4. As last resort, I'd like to export (or otherwise convert the artwork) to a
raster format in color-managed CMYK mode. Is that possible and how?

BTW, this is a bit off-topic, but... Is it even okay for the client to ask for
editable versions? I mean, this is not a book or anything he really should be
editing... What are your experiences regarding such clients? Had any?

TIA

Best regards,

Branko

p.s.
I'm not actually a complete beginner... but Adobe software had been so good to
me, that I became somewhat spoiled by all the features. But I'm here to
learn. :)