[Scribus] Does Scribus support Fields...

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Feb 13 01:14:27 CET 2007

Scott Greenberg wrote:

> I am looking for a way to create dynamic text frames. I was thinking that
> a script could be created that searches for a predefined
> PageItemAttributes and updates the matching frame with text from an
> external file. However, I was unable to find a Scripter API method to read
> attributes. Does one exists? Do I have to use the frame name?

I initially wanted them for use by scripts to enable things like fields.
    Craig B. implemented them to support a table of contents etc, and by
then I was working on other things. I haven't made the time to write a
scripter interface for them, and I don't think Petr has either.

If you're game to try, it shouldn't actually be too hard to implement
such an interface. I got started on the Scribus scripter with no initial
knowledge of C++ (and amazingly can look back on the code I added
without wanting to cry in horror) - so it's really not too hard to work
on. The downside is that there's a lot of repetitive code and it's
painful to maintain as the Scribus APIs change.

--
Craig Ringer