[Scribus] Success story and question.

Eilert eilert-sprachen
Thu Feb 8 11:39:31 CET 2007

Jan Schrewe schrieb:
> Kite Lau schrieb am Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2007:
>> ? 2007-02-07?? 19:14 +0100?Jan Schrewe???
>>
>>> Yes, the details are exactly what  I am looking for. The Problem is
>>> that the
>>> position of the textframes is absolute. So in order to generate the
>>> "master
>>> file" with 500 pages I need to know how calculate the position and I
>>> didn't
>>> find anything in the documentation of the sla file.
>> You make this master file within Scribus. Why you need to know the
>> position?
>
> Yes, you are right. I just found out that it is possible to copy a page
> n-times.
>
> Thank you all.
>
> Jan

Hi Jan,

maybe this helps you:

I experimented a bit with an empty document of 1 page and 1 text frame,
saved it, looked at it, then added 1 page, 1 text frame, another text
frame, and I found it's relatively easy to change contents etc.

In the file, you will find <PAGE ... NUM="0" ...> for the first page,
NUM="1" for the second and so on. They all stand below each other. It
was easy to copy them and add a number to get more pages.

Then there are page objects <PAGEOBJECT ...> several lines until
</PAGEOBJECT>

In my case, there were <ITEXT ... CH="This is the text" ... > containing
the text of the text frame. They are within each page object definition.

In the <PAGEOBJECT-definition there is one item, rather at the end of
it, called e. g. OwnPage="1" for the second page. But when I altered it,
the object didn't appear on another page, I don't know why. This would
be necessary to add more page objects with text frames for each page. In
my case, Scribus wouldn't accept alterations here and just leave the
frame at its place or (in case of a newly added page object) show it at
the last page before more pages were added manually.

But it seems to be possible, though. I guess such an approach will be
easier to handle than having Scribus produce additional copies of the
first page, then saving, closing, adding the texts from the database,
then reloading and making pdf of it.

Regards

Rolf