[Scribus] cmyk workflow

Axel Bojer axelb
Tue Feb 6 00:46:46 CET 2007

avox skrev:

> Axel Bojer wrote:
>> Hey, you give me hope :-)
>> That means, as I suggested at first, my image
>> http://www.bojer.no/Ariadne2006/ariadnes_aarbok2006-omslag-somBildeGB.tiff
>>
>> is indeed as good as can be, it just has to be converted to cmyk, correct?
>
> I think so.
>
>> If yes, why isn't this file correct cmyk:
>> http://www.bojer.no/Ariadne2006/ariadnes_aarbok2006-omslag-TilTrykking-BareEttBilde.pdf
>> As mentioned: it was made the following way:
>> 1) Make what I want to have in Scribus
>> 2) Export as png
>> 3) Convert png to tiff with Gimp
>> 4) Import the new tiff-image as the *only* element in a new Scribus file
>> 5) Export this with the "to printer" option to make a cmyk pdf file.
>>
> Here the exact color settings for PDF export would be interesting, since
> that changes output dramatically:
> * Use ICC profiles yes/no

No

> * Use ICC profiles for images yes/no

No (When I turn ICC profiles on I in "Document settings--colour
management" I see this option in "Save as PDF--Colour". I suppose the
best is to turn it on (I see just one profile installed, I suppose this
is the standard Scribus profile? It is named "sRGB IEC61966-2.1"

>> Or can someone confirm that the pdf-file linked above will, printed,
>> look about the same as the linked tiff file above? If yes I can sleep
>> sound tonight :-D
>
> I'm afraid not. It might well be that the colors you chose are outside the
> CMYK gamut,
> especially greens are tricky for CMYK.

I see ..., bad choice, technically :-(

I have tried now with the standard options and Colour management on.
The resulting file is here:
http://www.bojer.no/Ariadne2006/ariadnes_aarbok2006-omslag-TilTrykking-EttBilde-ICCprofil.pdf

I have also put up my cmyk picture for the case that someone wants to
have a look:
http://www.bojer.no/Ariadne2006/ariadnes_aarbok2006-omslag-somBildeCMYK.tiff
(NB: almost 50mb big)

But I can't say I spot any difference in acrobat reader between what I
had without icc-profiles and what I get with ...

Thanks for all help!
Axel Bojer