[Scribus] cmyk workflow

avox avox
Mon Feb 5 23:38:22 CET 2007

Axel Bojer wrote:

> Hey, you give me hope :-)
> That means, as I suggested at first, my image
> http://www.bojer.no/Ariadne2006/ariadnes_aarbok2006-omslag-somBildeGB.tiff
>
> is indeed as good as can be, it just has to be converted to cmyk, correct?

I think so.

> If yes, why isn't this file correct cmyk:
> http://www.bojer.no/Ariadne2006/ariadnes_aarbok2006-omslag-TilTrykking-BareEttBilde.pdf
> As mentioned: it was made the following way:
> 1) Make what I want to have in Scribus
> 2) Export as png
> 3) Convert png to tiff with Gimp
> 4) Import the new tiff-image as the *only* element in a new Scribus file
> 5) Export this with the "to printer" option to make a cmyk pdf file.

Here the exact color settings for PDF export would be interesting, since
that changes output dramatically:
* Use ICC profiles yes/no
* Use ICC profiles for images yes/no

> Or can someone confirm that the pdf-file linked above will, printed,
> look about the same as the linked tiff file above? If yes I can sleep
> sound tonight :-D

I'm afraid not. It might well be that the colors you chose are outside the
CMYK gamut,
especially greens are tricky for CMYK.

/Andreas