[Scribus] Memory Consumption on Image Frames

Nicolás Carranza nicarran
Sun Feb 4 18:39:25 CET 2007

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Nicol?s Carranza wrote:
>
>> I'm using scribus to do annotations on PDF documents. I import all the
>> PDF pages in image frames. I see that scribus caches in memory all the
>> images contained in an entire document and makes "imposible" to edit
>> documents with lots of images (40 (1800x2775) images take about 800MB of
>> memory for a 40 pages PDF). Anybody knows if there are plans to do a
>> more intelligent caching of images or image frame behavior (only caching
>> the images that are shown or its neighboring pages) so that we can use
>> scribus in documents with hundreds of high-res images?
>>

> Try going to File > Document Setup > Tools, and clicking on the icon for
> image frame specs. Reduce the On Screen Preview image quality to low
> resolution.
> By doing this with a 60-image file in Scribus (these were jpegs), I was
> able to reduce memory usage by about 200MB.
> I don't know what version you are using, mine was 1.3.3.8cvs.
>
> Greg

Hi Greg. Thanks for the tip, using "low resolution preview" the memory
consumption was reduced from ~750MB to ~250MB on my 40 pages scribus
doc. (Scribus 1.3.3.6)..
But... I really think that scribus needs better image handling (caching)
so that I can see the images in its full resolution  because I need to
do annotations about those images as an end product. Anyway 250MB for 40
pages are a lot because the complete PDF is ~400 pages and that would
make ~2500MB of cached low-res images; I split it in 10 pieces to make
it workable. This sounds like a request enhancement, maybe this list is
not for request enhancements but there it was.
Thanks.