[Scribus] Memory Consumption on Image Frames

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sun Feb 4 17:18:04 CET 2007

Nicol?s Carranza wrote:
> I'm using scribus to do annotations on PDF documents. I import all the
> PDF pages in image frames. I see that scribus caches in memory all the
> images contained in an entire document and makes "imposible" to edit
> documents with lots of images (40 (1800x2775) images take about 800MB of
> memory for a 40 pages PDF). Anybody knows if there are plans to do a
> more intelligent caching of images or image frame behavior (only caching
> the images that are shown or its neighboring pages) so that we can use
> scribus in documents with hundreds of high-res images?

Try going to File > Document Setup > Tools, and clicking on the icon for
image frame specs. Reduce the On Screen Preview image quality to low
resolution.
By doing this with a 60-image file in Scribus (these were jpegs), I was
able to reduce memory usage by about 200MB.
I don't know what version you are using, mine was 1.3.3.8cvs.

Greg