[Scribus] HOWTO build Scribus 1.3.5svn on Windows

Craig Ringer craig
Sun Aug 26 14:30:49 CEST 2007

John Brown wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> The documentation says that there are no instructions for Windows yet. Does
> this mean that it is impossible?
>
> This report is not very scientific, as I did not write anything down.
> Anyway, I achieved the following results using MSYS with experimental MinGW
> 4.2.1 sjlj compiler:

It's unlikely to work on msys out of the box unless they've added
support for GDI+ or Jean has had a chance to test his basic-GDI-only code .

I've not yet built it under Windows using CMake, with either VC++ or
MinGW. VC++ should be easier, but you'll need a version of Qt that
builds under VC++ and there are no free versions from TrollTech that do
that. Patches do exist; see:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtwin/

> 2) CMake complained that CUPS_INCLUDE_DIR, PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH and
> PYTHON_LIBRARY needed to be set. In the documentation, CUPS and Python are
> listed under *recommended* packages. I tried -DHAVE_CUPS=0, but it still
> asked for CUPS_INCLUDE_DIR. There was no HAVE_PYTHON variable. In the end, I
> set all include paths to /usr/local4/include. I should point out that I have
> gcc 3.x and 4.x on my system. When using 4.x, I install to /usr/local4, so
> that is where libpng12, libjpeg, etc. compiled with 4.x can be found.

I'll be surprised if the CMakeFiles don't need some significant changes
for win32 in terms of search paths etc. FindFreetype.cmake /
FreetypeConfig.cmake in particular need work since they rely on the
*nix-only shellscript freetype-config being on the PATH. I've written a
cross-platform freetype finder for PoDoFo that should work fine when
dropped into Scribus (some variable name changes might be needed). See:

http://podofo.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/podofo/podofobrowser/trunk/cmake/modules/FindLIBFREETYPE.cmake?view=log

You will need to know CMake and win32 building quite well, or be willing
to learn and spend quite a bit of time, to get this to work.

--
Craig Ringer