[Scribus] HOWTO build Scribus 1.3.5svn on Windows

John Brown johnbrown105
Sun Aug 26 13:01:52 CEST 2007

Hello All,

The documentation says that there are no instructions for Windows yet. Does
this mean that it is impossible?

This report is not very scientific, as I did not write anything down.
Anyway, I achieved the following results using MSYS with experimental MinGW
4.2.1 sjlj compiler:

1) Freetype2 was not found automatically. CMake said "Freetype2 found OK",
but it went on to check for FT_xxx in libfreetype.so. I had to manually
specifiy the path to libfreetype.a

2) CMake complained that CUPS_INCLUDE_DIR, PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH and
PYTHON_LIBRARY needed to be set. In the documentation, CUPS and Python are
listed under *recommended* packages. I tried -DHAVE_CUPS=0, but it still
asked for CUPS_INCLUDE_DIR. There was no HAVE_PYTHON variable. In the end, I
set all include paths to /usr/local4/include. I should point out that I have
gcc 3.x and 4.x on my system. When using 4.x, I install to /usr/local4, so
that is where libpng12, libjpeg, etc. compiled with 4.x can be found.

3) I ran make and a few things were compiled, but it failed on
cupsoptions.cpp (of course):
[  1%] Built target scribus_fonts_lib
[  2%] Built target scribus_desaxe_lib
[  3%] Built target scribus_text_lib
[  3%] Built target scribus_styles_lib
[  3%] Building CXX object scribus/CMakeFiles/scribus.dir/cupsoptions.obj
/* a few warnings omitted */
c:/Downloads/Imaging/Scribus-1.3.5svn/Scribus/scribus/cupsoptions.cpp: In
constr
uctor 'CupsOptions::CupsOptions(QWidget*, QString)':
c:/Downloads/Imaging/Scribus-1.3.5svn/Scribus/scribus/cupsoptions.cpp:73:
error:
'cups_dest_t' was not declared in this scope

etc.