[Scribus] some suggestion

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Aug 7 12:25:28 CEST 2007

Hi Alex,

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=4399

> - too few paragraph style features, there are many typography options
> that are needed for a professional graphic designer.

More to come. Can you specify what you need exactly and what is not already in
the bugtracker?

> - configurable grids and guides, the fact that we have to have the
> manage guides window open to move the guide around is really
> uncomfortable. Best would be to treat them as objects.

You can grab a guide with the mouse and move it. For more planned features
have a look at the bugtracker.

> - the imprecision of the object snapping to guides and generally the way
> to handle them is visually not very helpful.

Can you specify?

> I Have been using indesign for years and whereas I have no problem to
> tell my student to use the Gimp instead of Photoshop or Inkscape instead
> of Illustrator, I still can't say to them to use scribus.

Well, I stumbled across a German professor of art who requires skills in
Photoshop and Scribus ;) Actually, there's no doubt that InDesign is still
ahead of Scribus, but you also have to take into account how long it took
Adobe to get that far. Scribus is younger than InDesign, and there's no
armada of developers behind it. The existing team, however, is very skilled,
and if you look at the roadmap, you'll find that they're also quite
ambitious. Just be patient. Things won't happen overnight, but they will
happen.

> Thanks
> Alex

Cheers