[Scribus] some suggestion

Anne Wilson lists
Tue Aug 7 11:58:33 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 07 Aug 2007, Alexandre Garacotche wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to make helpful suggestions here in order to make scribus a
> better software. I am very much supporting free software and I am
> teaching professional graphic design.
> Although most of the things can be accomplished in Scribus, they are
> some really important missing features that prevent professional using
> Indesign for ex, to join us:
>
> - template page not modifiable and therefore not very handy
> - too few paragraph style features, there are many typography options
> that are needed for a professional graphic designer.
> - configurable grids and guides, the fact that we have to have the
> manage guides window open to move the guide around is really
> uncomfortable. Best would be to treat them as objects.
> - the imprecision of the object snapping to guides and generally the way
> to handle them is visually not very helpful.
>
> I Have been using indesign for years and whereas I have no problem to
> tell my student to use the Gimp instead of Photoshop or Inkscape instead
> of Illustrator, I still can't say to them to use scribus.

This is a personal opinion - don't blame the coders for it :-)

Sometimes the best way forward is to talk to the developers about your list of
problems, identify which should be the easiest to fix, then help in the
detailing of the problem, why it is there and how a fix could be addressed.
One problem fixed is a great step forward, and coders are always glad of
support.

Anne