[Scribus] some suggestion

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Wed Aug 8 15:13:16 CEST 2007

2007/8/7, Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Am Dienstag, 7. August 2007 11:45 schrieb Alexandre Garacotche:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to make helpful suggestions here in order to make scribus a
> > better software. I am very much supporting free software and I am
> > teaching professional graphic design.
> > Although most of the things can be accomplished in Scribus, they are
> > some really important missing features that prevent professional using
> > Indesign for ex, to join us:
> >
> > - template page not modifiable and therefore not very handy
>
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=4399
>
> > - too few paragraph style features, there are many typography options
> > that are needed for a professional graphic designer.
>
> More to come. Can you specify what you need exactly and what is not
> already in
> the bugtracker?
>
> > - configurable grids and guides, the fact that we have to have the
> > manage guides window open to move the guide around is really
> > uncomfortable. Best would be to treat them as objects.
>
> You can grab a guide with the mouse and move it. For more planned features
> have a look at the bugtracker.
>
> > - the imprecision of the object snapping to guides and generally the way
> > to handle them is visually not very helpful.
>
> Can you specify?
>

> > I Have been using indesign for years and whereas I have no problem to
> > tell my student to use the Gimp instead of Photoshop or Inkscape instead
> > of Illustrator, I still can't say to them to use scribus.
>
> Well, I stumbled across a German professor of art who requires skills in
> Photoshop and Scribus ;) Actually, there's no doubt that InDesign is still
> ahead of Scribus, but you also have to take into account how long it took
> Adobe to get that far. Scribus is younger than InDesign, and there's no
> armada of developers behind it. The existing team, however, is very
> skilled,
> and if you look at the roadmap, you'll find that they're also quite
> ambitious. Just be patient. Things won't happen overnight, but they will
> happen.

Bonjour Alexandre,

On top of Christoph's comments, suggestions and questions (to which we'd
really like to read your answers!) I think it is worth mentionning that your
school's website tells us you're working on OS X:

http://www.bab-art.fr/spip/spip.php?rubrique53

and this might be *the* good reason for not being completely happy with
Scribus at the time being. As far as I know, the current 1.3.4 Scribus for
Mac/Aqua (unless you use X11 and installed a more stable version) is not
suitable for production. It is a development version and it does have some
specific Mac OS X glitches that we know about and that will be fixed along
the road.

For a better experience, it is advisable to use the stable 1.3.3.x series
running either on Linux or Windows. We are currently working at a Mac
version (Universal Binary) and this of course will help change the opinion
you have so far about Scribus, I think!

Plus, we can only be happy of input you want to give to the project, so you
are most welcome to pursue the discussion here and give a hand to make
things happen faster and better. As Christoph suggests, please be specific
when discussing missing features or the ones you think are disfunctional.
This will help us a lot.

? bient?t!

Louis