[Scribus] Scribus 1.3.4 in Ubuntu amd64 repositories

Craig Ringer craig
Mon Aug 6 08:33:49 CEST 2007

Magyar B?lint wrote:
> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> I have finals in two weeks, and I just don't care
>> to spend the time on futzing with 1.3.4.
>
> Just because you're frustrated, there's no need to use words like this on the
> mailing list (or anywhere else for that matter). If anything, you should be
> grateful for the many hours the developers put into making Scribus for all to
> use FOR FREE. The fact that 1.3.4 (a development version) has overwritten
> 1.3.3.8 on your distribution is not the developers' fault.

In general I'd agree with you, but `futzing' is really pretty innocent
slang.

In any case, 1.3.4 DOES have some major problems. It's a test release,
and it's primary purpose is to help find bugs so the final result is
better. It's just not suitable for production use.

The key problem the original poster faces is that his package management
system enabled an upgrade from a stable, working version to a version
that is _NOT_ final release quality (and not a final release) - and is
making it much harder to go back. Scribus's somewhat confusing version
numbering does not help here, since it is harder for a user to tell at a
glance that 1.3.3.x are safe to use, but 1.3.x aren't.

To the OP:

Given the Scribus packaging, I suspect you are using the scribus-ng
package (which is the "dangerous" stream) - since for a while that was
the best way to get 1.3.3.x . It was unfortunate that so many people
ended up installing the package that was the unstable stream, since it
set them up for this kind of problem down the track.

If this is the case, you should install the "scribus" package. This
should contain 1.3.3.x if scribus-ng is 1.3.4 and should work like you
expect.

There should be no need to build Scribus from source. You can if you
like, but it's probably nicer to use packages to do the job.

--
Craig Ringer