[Scribus] Scribus 1.3.4 in Ubuntu amd64 repositories

John R. Culleton john
Mon Aug 6 13:44:44 CEST 2007

On Monday 06 August 2007, Craig Ringer wrote:

> There should be no need to build Scribus from source. You can if
> you like, but it's probably nicer to use packages to do the job.

One of the strengths of Linux is the ablility to go forward and
backward thorugh versions of a package by downloading tarballs and
copiling them.  Packaging systems just get in the way, as the instant
case clearly illustrates.

I use Slackware and often the packages in the latest Slack
distribution are behind the latest stable release.  Using a source
tarball or its equivalent to upgrade is my usual practice, whether it
is Scribus (not included in Slackware BTW) TeX (I use the annual
TeXLive distro) Inkscape or whatever.  I would not want to be limited
to what happened to be available in a  Linux packaging system,
Slackware's or anyone else's.

--
John Culleton
ATTN Publishers/authors: