[Scribus] Scribus hangs for 40 mins, then disappears

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Apr 30 22:37:37 CEST 2007

On Monday 30 April 2007 22:33:51 avox wrote:
> ols6000 wrote:
> > At 10:43 AM 4/30/2007, Frank Cox wrote:
> >>Is there any reason not to load those images into Gimp and scale
> >>them down to a
> >>more manageable size?
> >
> > I want the maximum resolution. Also, it would be a lot of work (there
> > are many images).
> >
> > At 10:52 AM 4/30/2007, Craig Bradney wrote:
> >>Since when? I often throw 3000x2000 hi res JPEGs at it, or bigger.. and
>
> its
>
> >>fine.
> >
> > It has always failed for me. These are the same images I filed bug
> > reports on a while back.
>
> How much virtual memory do you have? And did you try to turn off
> image preview in Scribus?
>
> > In any case, you see the error messages, and Scribus does crash, so
> > there is something wrong. IMHO, an application like Scribus should
> > never crash, regardless of the conditions or input, without some
> > diagnostic message to the user, prefereably a useful one.
>
> That's kind of difficult, since memory is consumed in a lot of places
> which are not necessarily under Scribus's control (most notably Qt).

While I understand the concerns, and we do have plans to reduce memory
consumption in the future, Andreas is completely correct and Its also fairly
reasonable to expect someone to have a reasonable spec machine for the job at
hand. At worst you can up your virtual memory which should solve this. At
best, throw more ram in the machine.

Craig