[Scribus] Scribus hangs for 40 mins, then disappears

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net ols6000
Mon Apr 30 23:29:40 CEST 2007

At 01:33 PM 4/30/2007, avox wrote:
>How much virtual memory do you have? And did you try to turn off
>image preview in Scribus?

I have no idea; whatever the default is for installation of FC6. I
don't know what "image preview" is, so I didn't try turning it off.

>That's kind of difficult, since memory is consumed in a lot of places
>which are not necessarily under Scribus's control (most notably Qt).

Surely it is possible to get error returns from Qt. However, judging
from the number of problems I've seen attributed to its use, I
suggest eliminating Qt from Scribus.

At 01:37 PM 4/30/2007, Craig Bradney wrote:
>While I understand the concerns, and we do have plans to reduce memory
>consumption in the future, Andreas is completely correct and Its also fairly
>reasonable to expect someone to have a reasonable spec machine for the job at
>hand. At worst you can up your virtual memory which should solve this. At
>best, throw more ram in the machine.

 From the user's point of view, how is he to know what a "reasonable
spec" machine is? In my case, I have 2 Gb of RAM. But as things
stand, I have no idea how much would be required.

At 01:41 PM 4/30/2007, Owen wrote:
>Looks like a memory problem, how much memory do you have?

See above.

>What are the sizes of the images?

An example image is 6495 x 3952 pixels, 4800 dpi. This image can be
displayed (on a Windows XP machine) as a thumbnail by Windows
Explorer, and at any size by PicaJet (an image organizer), so I know
the image file is OK.