[Scribus] Scribus hangs for 40 mins, then disappears

avox avox
Mon Apr 30 22:33:51 CEST 2007

ols6000 wrote:

> At 10:43 AM 4/30/2007, Frank Cox wrote:
>>Is there any reason not to load those images into Gimp and scale
>>them down to a
>>more manageable size?
>
> I want the maximum resolution. Also, it would be a lot of work (there
> are many images).
>
> At 10:52 AM 4/30/2007, Craig Bradney wrote:
>>Since when? I often throw 3000x2000 hi res JPEGs at it, or bigger.. and
its
>>fine.
>
> It has always failed for me. These are the same images I filed bug
> reports on a while back.

How much virtual memory do you have? And did you try to turn off
image preview in Scribus?

> In any case, you see the error messages, and Scribus does crash, so
> there is something wrong. IMHO, an application like Scribus should
> never crash, regardless of the conditions or input, without some
> diagnostic message to the user, prefereably a useful one.

That's kind of difficult, since memory is consumed in a lot of places
which are not necessarily under Scribus's control (most notably Qt).

/Andreas