[Scribus] Book length projects.

John R. Culleton john
Thu Apr 26 17:11:55 CEST 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 09:06, andreas.karlsson at ltv.se wrote:
> It of course depends on what kind of book you are writing.
>
> If you are just writing a novel, you could use an ordinary word
> processor, such as AbiWord.
>
> If you are writing a scientific book including index, TOC,
> references, bibliography, footnotes, etc, use a document processor,
> such as LyX (http://www.lyx.org/).
>
> If you are writing a book that more looks like a newspaper or a
> magazine, with lots of different shorter and lengthier texts as
> well as images and other graphics, use a DTP software such as
> Scribus.
>
> Pick the right tool for the right task.
>
> Andreas

I am pretty much in agreement. However I typeset novels and memoirs
using TeX, usually the pdftex variant. Abiword and its like won't
give me either the automaticity or the control I get with TeX.

Recently I bid on a job with illustrations on every page, followed by
text. I tried Scribus but the text part was so inferior I resubmitted
it in plain pdftex.  The customer liked the second version much
better.

I need to learn how to handle text better in Scribus for this kind of
work.   Anyone up for a tutorial on text handling, paragraph styles
and the like?

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting