[Scribus] KPDF vs. Acrobat

dwain dwain.alford
Tue Apr 24 09:41:35 CEST 2007

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:53:55 -0500
> dwain <dwain.alford at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> John Jason Jordan wrote:

>>> KPDF cannot handle editable PDFs. The only PDF viewer that can do so
>>> currently is Adobe Reader 7.0 or later.
>>>

>> some wonderful members of this list told me about cabaret, which is a
>> free for personal use pdf editor/viewer.  i have been using it and you
>> can edit pdfs as well as fill out and save forms.  you can get it for
>> windows and linux.  here's the address:
>> http://www.cabaret-solutions.com/
>>

> Thanks. I just got it running on my Ubuntu Feisty amd64 computer. It
> does, indeed, allow editing of editable PDF documenhts. It also seems
> to be able to save a copy of the edited PDF. However, I discovered that
> it can't find my printers installed in CUPS. Maybe it's a setting
> somewhere. I'll poke at it more later.

here's the sticky part.  they have what are called instruments.  there
is one for printing.  they say you can use them in the free version, but
they may mark your document.  so there is a small price to pay to get
it.  there is a list of prices for the instruments on their site.  some
carry a pretty hefty price tag and it's all in euros.  that is the only
drawback to the program.  sorry.

--
Dwain Alford
http://www.studiokdd.com