[Scribus] KPDF vs. Acrobat

John Jason Jordan johnxj
Tue Apr 24 07:59:40 CEST 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:53:55 -0500
dwain <dwain.alford at gmail.com> wrote:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:07:48 +0300
> > Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:
> >

> >> Since Acrobat is no longer in the main repositories for *ubuntu
> >> because of licensing problems (I've also heard that there is now a
> >> 'phone home' element in Acrobat), what can Acrobat do that KPDF
> >> cannot (with regards to the functionality of Scribus)?
> >> If I am going to use Scribus to the full, do I really need Acrobat?
> >>

> > KPDF cannot handle editable PDFs. The only PDF viewer that can do so
> > currently is Adobe Reader 7.0 or later.
> >

> some wonderful members of this list told me about cabaret, which is a
> free for personal use pdf editor/viewer.  i have been using it and you
> can edit pdfs as well as fill out and save forms.  you can get it for
> windows and linux.  here's the address:
> http://www.cabaret-solutions.com/

Thanks. I just got it running on my Ubuntu Feisty amd64 computer. It
does, indeed, allow editing of editable PDF documenhts. It also seems
to be able to save a copy of the edited PDF. However, I discovered that
it can't find my printers installed in CUPS. Maybe it's a setting
somewhere. I'll poke at it more later.