[Scribus] KPDF vs. Acrobat

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Apr 24 08:38:08 CEST 2007

> > > KPDF cannot handle editable PDFs. The only PDF viewer that can do so
> > > currently is Adobe Reader 7.0 or later.
> > >

> > some wonderful members of this list told me about cabaret, which is a
> > free for personal use pdf editor/viewer.  i have been using it and you
> > can edit pdfs as well as fill out and save forms.  you can get it for
> > windows and linux.  here's the address:
> > http://www.cabaret-solutions.com/
>
> Thanks. I just got it running on my Ubuntu Feisty amd64 computer. It
> does, indeed, allow editing of editable PDF documenhts. It also seems
> to be able to save a copy of the edited PDF. However, I discovered that
> it can't find my printers installed in CUPS. Maybe it's a setting
> somewhere. I'll poke at it more later.

There has always been a lot of differences and we can only recommend Adobe
Reader for press-level usage of PDFs given it is the verified & reliable PDF
viewer for all kind of things like CMYK, spot colours, transparencies, forms
etc. Many of the open source viewers just have not caught up yet. KPDF is
one of the best, if not the best, that I have used though and is getting
better all the time. http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=toolbox1
might be of some interest.

Craig