[Scribus] Trapping and overprint, was: Re: GSoC 2007 preliminary slot allocation

avox avox
Sat Apr 7 05:50:57 CEST 2007

Louis Desjardins-4 wrote:

> I am probably totally too late to add anything here but we never know. I
> have not followed the knots and bolts of Google Summer of Code...
>
> I have reviewed the projects...
>
> One that come immediately to mind is trapping.

We are too far in the process to put in a new project. Deadline for student
application (set by Google) was already a few days ago.

> At least to be able to have the black overprint (or set any color to
> overprint) would be something to improve the acceptance of the product
> into
> real-life production. The actual behavior is knock-out black (or any
> color)
> on the background and this cannot give good results on press. The LGM
> Brochure is a good example of this although the pressmen have done a
> remarkable job to diminish the bad effect.

There are overprint settings in 1.3.4. Please check this out and add any
missing features to the bug tracker (there probably is an old entry for
trapping).

> First comments from the pressmen when they encountered a Scribus job ? no
> trapping!
>
> At least I think it's worth to let you guys know. We're not professional,
> yet... in color printing.

Isn't  there In-RIP trapping?
To implement real trapping would be probably at least as complicated as
implementing a transparency flattener...

/Andreas