[Scribus] GSoC 2007 preliminary slot allocation

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Sat Apr 7 05:26:14 CEST 2007

2007/4/6, Oleksandr Moskalenko <malex at scribus.info>:

> Google Summer of Code 2007 preliminary slot allocations has just been
> announced. Scribus Team has received two student project slots. Scribus
> Team's
> mentors now have to review the applications again, make their comments and
> rank the applications in the Google GSoC web application. Other people are
> encouraged to make their comments in our wiki at
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/SoC2007_ideas#Submitted_Applications and
> help prospective student participants polish their applications. The main
> point is to show that a student's plan is well thought-out and doable
> within
> the GSoC time frame, so mentors could make better informed decisions on
> what
> projects would benefit the Scribus Community the most.

Hi Alex,

I am probably totally too late to add anything here but we never know. I
have not followed the knots and bolts of Google Summer of Code...

I have reviewed the projects...

One that come immediately to mind is trapping.

At least to be able to have the black overprint (or set any color to
overprint) would be something to improve the acceptance of the product into
real-life production. The actual behavior is knock-out black (or any color)
on the background and this cannot give good results on press. The LGM
Brochure is a good example of this although the pressmen have done a
remarkable job to diminish the bad effect.

I don't want to enter a discussion on what is better or not for the user...
but end-to-end publishing needs... for instance... if we cannot print it
reliably...  is this a priority? To me, no. Very, very few people know how
to work this way.

Just a thought.

First comments from the pressmen when they encountered a Scribus job ? no
trapping!

At least I think it's worth to let you guys know. We're not professional,
yet... in color printing.

Can we change that in the SoC frame?

If not, this calls for a priority RFE.

Louis