[Scribus] Trapping and overprint, was: Re: GSoC 2007 preliminary slot allocation

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Sun Apr 8 13:47:43 CEST 2007

2007/4/6, avox <avox at arcor.de>:

> Louis Desjardins-4 wrote:
> >

> > I am probably totally too late to add anything here but we never know. I
> > have not followed the knots and bolts of Google Summer of Code...
> >
> > I have reviewed the projects...
> >
> > One that come immediately to mind is trapping.
> >

> We are too far in the process to put in a new project. Deadline for
> student
> application (set by Google) was already a few days ago.

OK. This is what I thought, but... we never know as I mentionned!

> At least to be able to have the black overprint (or set any color to
> > overprint) would be something to improve the acceptance of the product
> > into
> > real-life production. The actual behavior is knock-out black (or any
> > color)
> > on the background and this cannot give good results on press. The LGM
> > Brochure is a good example of this although the pressmen have done a
> > remarkable job to diminish the bad effect.
> >

> There are overprint settings in 1.3.4. Please check this out and add any
> missing features to the bug tracker (there probably is an old entry for
> trapping).

Will do and will get back on the bug tracker.

> > First comments from the pressmen when they encountered a Scribus job ?
> no
> > trapping!
> >
> > At least I think it's worth to let you guys know. We're not
> professional,
> > yet... in color printing.
> >

> Isn't  there In-RIP trapping?

Sure. My statement was a bit hard and to a certain extent unfair. I should
have stated it with more nuance.

Black text knockout was a real surprise for me. For some reasons I assumed
it was going to be overprint as a default. This is more a human factor than
a Scribus factor, we could say! Without assuming anything, I could have
created an enriched black including the background color and this would have
solved the case.

To implement real trapping would be probably at least as complicated as
> implementing a transparency flattener...

Ok. Understand. We might consider keeping this basic then, and leave that to
prepress, until we reach to a higher level. Being able to set a specific
color to overprint is a beginning.

Louis

/Andreas
> --