[Scribus] [Product Developers] on Plone products for newspapers

Timo Stollenwerk timo
Mon Apr 2 10:47:44 CEST 2007

H?ctor Velarde schrieb:
> Timo:
>
> this is really interesting and of course we would like to collaborate
> with you; it seems to me that you are going to face the same issues we had.
>
> the only thing I would like you to note is the huge importance of using
> IPTC XML formats for the storing and exchanging of news objects. this is
> a key subject to the project and the only way to broad the audience.
>
> please take a look at the IPTC News Architecture in:
> http://www.iptc.org/NAR/

We discussed the issue of possible file formats for the import into a
DTP program on the Scribus mailinglist, but what the people there want
the most is Docbook support.

> we, for example, use QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign instead of Scribus.
> we have developed a couple of filters to convert from each format to
> NITF using heuristics. for you it would be easier to write such a filter
> because Scribus file format is open.

My general idea is that the CMS is able to handle the files from the DTP
program directly as well as Docbook or other file formats. This is of
course not possible with QuarkXPress and InDesign. As I understand your
proceeding you want the CMS to handle IPTC XML, so that the DTP-Program
(with your filters) can import it.

I'm still discussing this issue with the Scribus folks and my tutor at
university. Maybe I'll take another approach with Docbook or IPTC XML
import directly into the DTP program.

> are there other people working with you on the project?

No, right now I'm the only one working on this.

best wishes
timo