[Scribus] Mathematical expressions in Scribus

Thomas Zastrow listen
Sun Apr 1 20:52:41 CEST 2007

Hermann Kraus schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 01:38:13 +0200, Thomas Zastrow
> <listen at thomas-zastrow.de> wrote:
>> But I'm trying to force Hermann into the MathML direction, away from
>> LateX ... :-)
>

> I still don't consider MathML a good alternative to LaTeX:
> - Many people already know latex, for those who don't there is LyX,
> which has a good editor and is written in QT and therefore should be
> easy to integrate.
>
> - LaTeX produces better output than most if not all MathML typesetters.
> - If you are used to it you can type latex pretty fast, but I don't
> believe anybody will be good a typing mathml.
> - This plugin is aimed at the scientifc community for producing
> posters, etc. So they probably want to include formulas from their
> papers. And these papers are usually written in latex, so it can be as
> easy as a copy'n'paste to add a forumla.
> - latex supports about any type of math you can think of and is tested
> by many, many people. mathml converters OTOH are not widely used and
> probably will have bugs in seldom used parts
> - If you really need mathml just convert it to latex:
> http://www.orcca.on.ca/MathML/texmml/mmltotex.html
> - Also I intend to make everything scriptable, so I should be no
> problem to write a python script that converts between mathml and latex.

Hi Hermann,

certainly it's your choice, LateX is surely OK ;-)

I just thought that it would be simpler to integrate MathML than LateX:
it's also XML and can converted simply to SVG, so that it wouldn't
necessary to integrate another rendering engine.

But I'm anxious on your results, I'm your first beta tester :-)

Best,

Tom

--
http://www.thomas-zastrow.de