[Scribus] Mathematical expressions in Scribus

Hermann Kraus hermann
Sun Apr 1 18:30:28 CEST 2007

Hello!

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 01:38:13 +0200, Thomas Zastrow
<listen at thomas-zastrow.de> wrote:
> But I'm trying to force Hermann into the MathML direction, away from
> LateX ... :-)

I still don't consider MathML a good alternative to LaTeX:
- Many people already know latex, for those who don't there is LyX, which
has a good editor and is written in QT and therefore should be easy to
integrate.
- LaTeX produces better output than most if not all MathML typesetters.
- If you are used to it you can type latex pretty fast, but I don't
believe anybody will be good a typing mathml.
- This plugin is aimed at the scientifc community for producing posters,
etc. So they probably want to include formulas from their papers. And
these papers are usually written in latex, so it can be as easy as a
copy'n'paste to add a forumla.
- latex supports about any type of math you can think of and is tested by
many, many people. mathml converters OTOH are not widely used and probably
will have bugs in seldom used parts
- If you really need mathml just convert it to latex:
http://www.orcca.on.ca/MathML/texmml/mmltotex.html
- Also I intend to make everything scriptable, so I should be no problem
to write a python script that converts between mathml and latex.

Regards,

Hermann

--
The universe is all a spin-off of the Big Bang.