[Scribus] Converting graphics to CMYK with free software tools

Robin Rowe rower
Sun Sep 24 07:03:16 CEST 2006

On the [Scribus] list Axel Bojer wrote:
> I just tried to find several free software graphic programs that are
> able to save images as cmyk, because Gimp only can /fake/ this at the
> moment. But it seems I can't get it to work properly.
>
> This is the possible tools I found on my research:
> * Krita -- Part of koffice: http://www.koffice.org/tours/1.5
> * Imagemagick (using the command
> convert RGB.tiff -profile RGB.icc -profile CMYK.icc CMYK.tiff)
> * jpegicc and tifficc
> All the last three are mentioned in a former thread on this list :-)
> http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2005-August/012738.html
> * Cinepaint (a gimp clone) -- http://www.cinepaint.org/docs/cmyk.html
>
> This web page sums up the mentioned and also proprietary alternatives
> for Linux:
> http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2006/09/13/hdr-and-cmyk-editing-in-linux/

GraphicsMagic is a better alternative to ImageMagick. For deep color
image work these need to be compiled from source. Whether the core is
8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit is determined at compile-time (8-bit is default).

> * Cinepaint: I was not able to install it on my computer due to
> dependency problems (using Kubuntu dapper amd64).

Axel, can you give details?

Robin
--
CinePaint