[Scribus] Converting graphics to CMYK with free software tools

Axel Bojer axelb
Sun Sep 24 15:26:03 CEST 2006

Robin Rowe skrev:
> On the [Scribus] list Axel Bojer wrote:
>> I just tried to find several free software graphic programs that are
>> able to save images as cmyk, because Gimp only can /fake/ this at the
>> moment. But it seems I can't get it to work properly.
>>
>> This is the possible tools I found on my research:
>> * Krita -- Part of koffice: http://www.koffice.org/tours/1.5
>> * Imagemagick (using the command
>> convert RGB.tiff -profile RGB.icc -profile CMYK.icc CMYK.tiff)
>> * jpegicc and tifficc
>> All the last three are mentioned in a former thread on this list :-)
>> http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2005-August/012738.html
>> * Cinepaint (a gimp clone) -- http://www.cinepaint.org/docs/cmyk.html
>>
>> This web page sums up the mentioned and also proprietary alternatives
>> for Linux:
>> http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2006/09/13/hdr-and-cmyk-editing-in-linux/
>
> GraphicsMagic is a better alternative to ImageMagick. For deep color
> image work these need to be compiled from source. Whether the core is
> 8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit is determined at compile-time (8-bit is default).
>
>> * Cinepaint: I was not able to install it on my computer due to
>> dependency problems (using Kubuntu dapper amd64).
>
> Axel, can you give details?
>
> Robin
> --
> CinePaint

Sure :-)

=================

The original message in Norwegian:
# apt-get install cinepaint
Leser pakkelister ... Ferdig
Skaper oversikt over avhengighetsforhold ... Ferdig
Noen pakker kunne ikke installeres. Dette kan bety at du har bedt om
en umulig tilstand eller, hvis du bruker den ustabile utgaven av Debian,
at visse kjernepakker enn? ikke er laget eller flyttet ut av ?Incoming?
for distribusjonen.

Ettersom du bare bestilte et enkelt inngrep er det overveiende sannsynlig
at pakken helt enkelt ikke kan installeres, og du b?r fylle ut en
feilmelding.
F?lgende informasjon kan v?re til hjelp med ? l?se problemet:

F?lgende pakker har uinnfridde avhengighetsforhold:
   cinepaint: Avhenger av: libopenexr2c2 (>= 1.2.2) men lar seg ikke
installere
              Avhenger av: cinepaint-data (= 0.19-1-1build1) men skal
ikke installeres
E: ?delagte pakker

================

Translated:
# apt-get install cinepaint
Reading packages list ... done
Making an overview over the dependencies ... finished
Some packages could not be installed. This could mean that you have
asked for an impossible situation or, if you are using the unstable
version of Debian, that certain kernel packages are not yet made or
moved out of ?Incoming? for the distribution

Comment: This certainly is not the case because I am using a Kubuntu
dapper 6.0.6, some sktra packages, upgraded with apt-get dist-upgrade
from time to time. (I think there is a 6.061 or something ...). I have
not changed the sources.list much ... Then:

   cinepaint: depends on: libopenexr2c2 (>= 1.2.2) but can't be installed
              depends on: cinepaint-data (= 0.19-1-1build1) but should
not be installed
E: ?delagte pakker

Hope this helps!

Best regards