[Scribus] some concerns / making scribus better

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Sep 5 03:11:52 CEST 2006

Emanuel Schwarz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Iam the layouter of an local non-profit youth-magazine.
>
> And to contribute to this great project, at least i could tell you which
> things could be made better, what decreased my workflow or what simply is
> a pain in the neck.
>
> 1.: In the "Property"-Window is always "X, Y, Z" selected after
> deselecting the current object.
> which is very annoying if you have to change many objects of the same kind.
> It would be better if it stays in the menu you leaved it or if you could
> open more than one menus at the same time (Form, Text, Lines,..)

Are you using a 1.2.x version? This seems to be fixed in 1.3.3.x
versions. If you're using Windows, use the 1.3.3.3 version.
> 2.: When you move or scale an object by clicking the arrows, or use the
> mouse wheel, the value always goes up/down by an whole millimeter (or what
> units youve selected).
> I think it should first make an integer and then goes up/down by an whole
> unit (75.19 mm > should first make 76.00 mm and then 77.00 when you raise
> it stepwise)

Just so you know, holding down Ctrl, Shift, or Ctrl+Shift changes the
digit affected. As far as some kind of automatic rounding, it's hard to
see the real benefit of that, you can always double click the value and
type in an integer.
> 3.: I want to paste text directly on the workspace, not to first make an
> textbox and paste it in there.
> it should use the standard font and font size selected.

I think you're out of luck there. The workspace just defines the
boundaries of your work, everything is in frames. Scribus is not trying
to be a wordprocessor.
> 4.:There should be an right-allignd-justification. (i know this is
> allready mentiond before, but its really important)
>
> 5.: the justification algorithm dont seems to be the best. it should alter
> the distances between letters automatically if i want to.
> right now i have to manually edit it, what really costs time when
> layouting a newspaper.

This has come up before. If you are in Select Item mode, the line
spacing will automatically change (for the whole frame of course).
Otherwise, the idea is to have complete custom control over all font
display features.
> 6.: It might be my computer, but if the layouting document gets big,
> scribus can slow down quite a bit.
> I never had this problem in InDesign, which i thought must be way slower.
>
> 7.: when marking the whole text in a textbox its hard to mark the first
> letter. in general its often a problem to mark exactly the letters you
> want.

Try Ctrl+A, or hold down Shift and use arrows.

Greg