[Scribus] Single text frame with one, then two, then one column(s)

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Fri Oct 20 18:15:17 CEST 2006

Alt 033 a ?crit :

> I have been using Scribus for a only a few days (v. 1.3.3.4).  I've
> searched the archive, but I haven't found a question that quite
> pertains to what I am trying to achieve.  Is it possible to do the
> following within a single text frame?
>
> - The first paragraph has a hanging indent and extends across the full
> width of the text frame.
>
> - The second paragraph is in the first of two side-by-side columns.
> The left justification aligns with the indent of the first paragraph,
> not the left side of the text frame.  The right of this paragraph
> extends to the gap.
>
> - The third paragraph is in the second of two side-by-side columns.
> It extends from the gap on its left to the right side of the text
> frame.
>
> - The columns are of even width, taking into account the left
> justification of the second paragraph.  Thus, they are off-center in
> the text frame (and on the page).
>
> - The fourth and final paragraph, like the first, has a hanging indent
> and stretches across the full text frame and page.
>
> So far, I have only been able to do this in three linked text frames.
> When I try to do it in one frame with column breaks after each
> paragraph, the columns containing paragraphs two and three are of
> uneven width because the gap is centered in the frame (or perhaps on
> the page) and the fourth paragraph goes missing from the frame, though
> not from the story editor.

Hi Ron,

There is no practical way to achieve that in one single text frame. Once
you set a text frame to be 2-column there is no way to make a single
paragraph into that frame going the full width. At some point, it's
going to hit the column gap.

As far as I understand, you could do that with 2 frames instead of 3.
One being on top of the other with runaround properties set. Both parag.
1 and 4 would be in one frame because they share the same width. Both
paragraph 2 and 3 would be in the other frame. This frame can be
positionned precisely in respect to the other so it can be off-center
the way you want.

HTH

Louis