[Scribus] new problem - where's the js coming from? [SOLVED]

dwain.alford at gmail.com dwain.alford
Wed Oct 11 00:59:04 CEST 2006

Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 00:09, dwain.alford at gmail.com wrote:
>> Maciej Hanski wrote:
>>> dwain.alford at gmail.com napisa?(a):
>>> Dwain, I'm heavily overnewsed and underinformed:)
>>>
>>> What document? A PDF form? How did you create this PDF form, by using
>>> Scribus's own PDF export (right) or using a PDF Distiller as a printer
>>> (wrong)?

>>> As stated above: which program produces this error?

>>> Which program? What have you been trying to achieve with this program?
>>>
>>> i don't know how to get to the

>>> You don't have to bother about javascript at this stage, I suppose. Have
>>> you read the PDF form tutorial? Please describe in short the steps
>>> you've done so far, the clearer the better.
>>>
>>> M.

>> my operating system is windows 2000.  scribus development version
>> 1.3.3.4.  the pdf forms were created using the scribus pdf tab.  all
>> javascript settings were off in each field.
>>
>> according to the tutorial, in screen/web mode the program generates
>> javascript unless i'm reading it wrong.
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Your_first_PDF_form_with_Scribus
>>
>> "One of the biggest advantages of Scribus is the possibility to create
>> PDF forms with embedded JavaScript scripts."
>>
>> the problem i was having was with the js in the "date" function.  when i
>> set the field to "plain" the problem vanished.
>>
>> evidently, the js compiled by scribus has a bug that does not produce
>> correct js.  that's my guess based on what the tutorial says and the
>> actions that i have taken to correct the problem and the cues given by
>> acrobat 5.
>>
>> this is a great program!  i know the kinks will be worked out for the
>> stable release.  i don't know how many windows users there are, but i am
>> going to stick with the developers and this great piece of software.
>> i'm hooked now!  i have much blood, sweat and tears, along with the
>> frustration of wanting to shoot my computer.
>>
>> it's not all the software or the computer.  there is operator ignorance
>> at work here as well.  i really appreciate the feedback that i have
>> received from this list. i hope those who are developing scribus will
>> look at the js a little closer now.  not a criticism at all.  i know
>> that no piece of software is 100%.
>>
>> again thanks for the help, and if i run into anything else, i'll holler.
>
> Hi Dwain,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. I haven't followed this closely, but we will have a
> look at the JS code and see if all is ok. Its likely that some versions of JS
> are now required or no longer accepted or similar in Adobe Reader and what
> Scribus is producing is a little old. The JS side of things has not changed
> in quite awhile.
>
> It would be a great help if you created a bug on bugs.scribus.net and uploaded
> the SLA file and sample PDF with "broken" JS for us to test, so if you don't
> mind, please do so when you get a chance. An example makes a big difference
> [...]

hi craig,
go figure, i went back to the original file, set the date field format
to "date", produced the pdf from scribus, opened the file and it worked
flawlessly; no, none, nill, nada javascript error popped up.

i had closed both acrobat 5 and scribus, as i had before (i know
computers can get stupid every now and then) when i was having the
issue, read your email, opened both programs again and did the above
operations with the above results.

of course, i deleted the broken pdf files, they were no use to me;
however, i have more forms to produce and if i run into the same issue
i'll file a bug report and forward the files to you.

i feel kinda silly about this, but what can i say.  i don't think i was
dreaming.

regards,
dwain