[Scribus] new problem - where's the js coming from? [SOLVED]

Craig Bradney cbradney
Wed Oct 11 00:07:28 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 00:09, dwain.alford at gmail.com wrote:
> Maciej Hanski wrote:
> > dwain.alford at gmail.com napisa?(a):
> >> the last problem is solved, however a new one has emerged.  where is the
> >> javascript coming from?  all of the settings are set to no javascript.
> >> when i open the document now a window opens and shows the following
> >> information:
> >
> > Dwain, I'm heavily overnewsed and underinformed:)
> >
> > What document? A PDF form? How did you create this PDF form, by using
> > Scribus's own PDF export (right) or using a PDF Distiller as a printer
> > (wrong)?
> >
> >> 	Acrobat Database Connectivity Built-in Functions Version 5.0
> >> Acrobat EScript Built-in Functions Version 5.0
> >> Acrobat Annotations / Collaboration Built-in Functions Version 5.0
> >>
> >> SyntaxError: missing ) after argument list
> >
> > As stated above: which program produces this error?
> >
> >> i don't understand. if i close the window and type in a "plain" text
> >> area, no problem.  when i try to type in the "date" field the window
> >> pops up again and lists a syntax error.
> >
> > Which program? What have you been trying to achieve with this program?
> >
> > i don't know how to get to the
> >
> >> javascript to fix the problem.
> >
> > You don't have to bother about javascript at this stage, I suppose. Have
> > you read the PDF form tutorial? Please describe in short the steps
> > you've done so far, the clearer the better.
> >
> > M.

> my operating system is windows 2000.  scribus development version
> 1.3.3.4.  the pdf forms were created using the scribus pdf tab.  all
> javascript settings were off in each field.
>
> according to the tutorial, in screen/web mode the program generates
> javascript unless i'm reading it wrong.
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Your_first_PDF_form_with_Scribus
>
> "One of the biggest advantages of Scribus is the possibility to create
> PDF forms with embedded JavaScript scripts."
>
> the problem i was having was with the js in the "date" function.  when i
> set the field to "plain" the problem vanished.
>
> evidently, the js compiled by scribus has a bug that does not produce
> correct js.  that's my guess based on what the tutorial says and the
> actions that i have taken to correct the problem and the cues given by
> acrobat 5.
>
> this is a great program!  i know the kinks will be worked out for the
> stable release.  i don't know how many windows users there are, but i am
> going to stick with the developers and this great piece of software.
> i'm hooked now!  i have much blood, sweat and tears, along with the
> frustration of wanting to shoot my computer.
>
> it's not all the software or the computer.  there is operator ignorance
> at work here as well.  i really appreciate the feedback that i have
> received from this list. i hope those who are developing scribus will
> look at the js a little closer now.  not a criticism at all.  i know
> that no piece of software is 100%.
>
> again thanks for the help, and if i run into anything else, i'll holler.

Hi Dwain,

Thanks for your feedback. I haven't followed this closely, but we will have a
look at the JS code and see if all is ok. Its likely that some versions of JS
are now required or no longer accepted or similar in Adobe Reader and what
Scribus is producing is a little old. The JS side of things has not changed
in quite awhile.

It would be a great help if you created a bug on bugs.scribus.net and uploaded
the SLA file and sample PDF with "broken" JS for us to test, so if you don't
mind, please do so when you get a chance. An example makes a big difference
when debugging.

Thanks for your help!
Regards
Craig