[Scribus] Mulatiple page print-out

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Fri Oct 6 14:25:15 CEST 2006

Peter Nermander a ?crit :
>> Yep... and that'd be possible if either (a) we can eventually support
>> pdf-in-pdf embedding, or (b) add support for referencing a page in an
>> external document in a frame.
>
> And I just found that the discussion is already in the wiki:-)
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Imposition_proposal
>
>> Personally I think pdf-in-pdf embedding is ideal for more complex uses,
>> and just supporting simple flipped/rotated/n-up output would be suitable
>> for more basic jobs like booklets (and would be LOTS simpler).
>
> Well the simple impositions could be supplied as example files if a more
> powerful solution is implemented.
>
> And you are right that pdf-in-pdf would be ideal, then Scribus could impositions
> documents from other sources. But I think a solution could support both
> importing pages from pdf and importing pages from sla?
>
> Maybe we could even start with having a solution importing PDF pages as pictures
> (as it is done today) and then just improve it by adding other import formats?
>
> I don't think I could do all the coding, but I would be happy to assist a
> developer with ideas and script snippets. Many of the functions could be
> done with scripts.
>
> Create a document with a certain paper size (can even be done manually?). Here
> we should probably also include tumble or turn (to place the two pages of a
> sheet next to eachother or above/below eachother on the workspace)
>
> Insert guides according to printer margins and page grid (easy to script, 4
> margins and number of rows and columns)
>
> Create frames according to the guides (easy to script too, maybe the same script
> as above, it will really not create them using guides but use the same numbers
> as for drawing the guides)
>
> Then the user must select a page order and rotation for each frame. This I think
> must be coded into Scribus. Each frame must have some visible identifier showing
> it's orientation and sequence number
>
> Maybe also alignment of page within the frame should be available (if the page
> is smaller than a grid square). I don't have Scribus in front of me now so I'm
> not sure if alignment of image within an image frame is arelady available
>
> Then importing pages and duplicating the setup for additional sheets can be
> easily scripted (possibly with an option on how many pages on each signature)

Hi,

All this seems really interesting.

Just as a side note and if it can save coding time, the juxtaposition of
.pdf and .sla files into one imposition seems to me not /that/ necessary
since it is so easy to create a .pdf from a .sla file right into
Scribus. Unless I miss something!

Also, from the printer point of view, crop and fold marks can be reduced
to their simplest expression when you need to save paper (this happens
*all* the time). Nice long crop marks are sometimes reduced to something
as small as a dot on the real world printed sheet. When printing
digital, we also often only use a dummy sheet with a keyline that we use
to set the cutter. Of course, these keylines don't show on the printed
job. The same applies for dotted lines used to show a fold. A
hand-folded dummy is *always* a better solution and if a client doesn't
provide it, we will do it ourselves anyway.

Registration marks are *not* needed for digital printing since no plates
are involved, no makeready, no adjustements on a per-job basis. The
machine has to be set properly and checked out regularly and for this it
has its own set of test pages with all the marks you can imagine.

Of course, all this covers the ground or small jobs, small booklets, or
books with simple needs. Packaging and heavier jobs have more specific
needs. I understand from what I read so far that we want to accomodate
the average needs of people printing mostly on digital printers.

I said earlier in this discussion that imposition is a piece of its own.
It is *not* a simple task and most printers I know are actually asking
for single pages. They by far prefer to do the imposition according to
their specific setup.

Again, what I read is promising.

Cheers!

Louis