[Scribus] Is version 1.3.3.3 ready for production?

Craig Ringer craig
Wed Oct 4 03:14:06 CEST 2006

Gustavo Homem wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 15:38, Nicholas Vettese wrote:
>> How different will 1.3.3.4 be from 1.3.3.3?  Am I believe this will be the
>> precursor to the next version of the application?
>>

> All 1.3.3.x releases are mostly bug fix releases on the stable series.
>
> The "next generation" where the big changes will happen is 1.3.x not 1.3.3.x.

The reason for the weird version numbering is that 1.3.x is the
development series. We branched at 1.3.3 to stabilize the development
series for general use, since it was cleaner and more stable than 1.2.x
with a _LOT_ of fixes to quite fundamental issues. 1.4 was/is taking
longer than I think anybody expected (time is limited, lots of work to
do, etc) so 1.3.3 is an interim step.

At least, that's how I see things.

As for "ready for production" I think that depends on your needs,
deadlines, etc. It is far from impossible that you will run into
problems with 1.3.3.x that may take time and work to resolve. I'd try
Scribus out, but not commit to it for a production run until you KNOW it
does what you need and doesn't have any problems that'll impair your
work. If you can't afford the time to try Scribus while doing your
normal production run, you probably can't afford the risk of jumping
ship either.

--
Craig Ringer