[Scribus] file format 1.3.3.x and 1.3.4

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Nov 30 12:45:52 CET 2006

E Armstrong wrote:
> Gregory Pittman wrote:
>> I just noticed recently that 1.3.3.x versions cannot import 1.3.4cvs
>>
> I don't understand why this is an issue. People do not generally expect
> older versions of a program to be able to read newer versions' documents.
> We are always advised to use a stable older version for production.
> Why would we want the developers wasting precious development time
> trying to incorporate such an esoteric feature?  Just don't create
> valuable stuff in a newer version until it has been proved stable unless
> you're prepared to take the risk or to move components manually .
>
> As for comparing it to Microsoft - there/* is*/ no comparison. MS files
> are hidden proprietary formats no one can access or repair which could
> conceal anything.

I think it's more about the nature of the app. Scribus is a DTP app
that'll mostly be used on one user's machine or as part of a managed
local network. Microsoft, on the other hand, go out of their way to make
it easy for people to use Word documents for communication.

That said, MS word files are very cross-compatible these days. Even the
new XML format can be opened in earlier versions with a plugin. Sure,
the document won't look the same between any two versions, but it won't
look the same in the same version on two different machines if you have
a different printer or different installed fonts ... so really, the
version issue isn't particularly relevant.

Eventually it would be nice to have an upwardly compatible format in
Scribus. I personally wouldn't view that as important at present
however, especially when there's so much else needed.

< Also Scribus is only version 1.3.x -  MS Word for
> example is at least version 9 or 10 (more like 100 if you include
> countless bug-fixes). And if Scribus ever stopped supporting old Scribus
> formats then they're still accessible as XML!

Kinda ;-)

--
Craig Ringer